100+ demonstrative speech ideas for 'how to' presentations
'What are the best demonstration speech topics?'
Could it be 'How to fly a kite'?
Or 'How to grow from seed'?
May be 'How to knot a tie'?
The answer is simple but frustratingly inconclusive: 'It depends.'
These are the 'how to' or 'show and teach' speeches of which there are squillions of possibilities. You could waste hours considering this demonstrative speech topic against that one but you don't have to. Step through the guidelines below and make an informed decision.
* What you are interested in: Your choice of demonstrative speech topic needs to be something you are genuinely interested in and know about.
Without enthusiasm or knowledge it's hard to inspire others to want to know more about a subject. And that's your goal! Ideally when you finish your speech, you'll find yourself on the receiving end of question after question from eager listeners wanting to know more.
* Who the speech is for: You need to consider your audience before making your final choice.
What demonstration speech topics would interest them? What would teach them something new? What would be of value and appropriate for them to know?
* The setting of the speech: Where is the speech to be given? In a classroom? In a public hall? In a living room? In the open air?
* The time you've got to give the speech: There is no point in choosing something complex to show and teach if you have very limited time. What you select needs to fit easily into the allotted space.
* The guidelines for assessment: (if the speech is part of a public speaking course).
You may find there are restrictions on using varying forms of visual aids: video or power-point for example. Check before you decide.
Use the demonstration speech topics below to kick-start your own creativity. Think of them as beginnings or starting points.
Rather than pick the first idea that jumps out, build up a short list. Then go through assessing the positive as well as negative aspects, keeping the audience, your interest, setting, time and assessment needs in mind.
chosen your demonstration speech topic find out more about how good
demonstration speeches are structured. This is an easily followed 'how to'
prepare your speech guide.
Or if you're still looking, try this page of 50 how to speech
ideas. These demonstration speech topics focus on teaching vital soft skills
like 'how to apologize sincerely' or 'how to accept personal criticism
Would you like a print-friendly blank speech outline
template to use? The template will step you through an ordered sequence of
steps to ensure your speech has a logical beginning, middle and end.
And if your speech is being formally evaluated why not find out
what the judge will be marking you on? There's a standard speech evaluation form