Good persuasive speech topics
50 speech ideas plus 'how to' examples
What are good persuasive speech topics?
My list of 50 is below.
However whether they are good for you and your audience is something to seriously think about before settling on a topic.
To get the most out of the page do check the guidelines about what makes a good topic choice and the "how to" examples as well as the list itself. The best way to use that is as a guide to get your creative juices working.
On this page
What makes a good persuasive speech topic?
A persuasive speech topic is good if it:
- fits its audience - Are they interested in it? Does it benefit them in anyway? Is it of value? Can you make it appealing? If it's an old topic can you make it fresh?
- is a fit with you
- You already know something about it or you're really interested in
finding out more and you know what want you to achieve through giving
- can be researched and prepared within the time frame you need the speech for
- fits the criteria and purpose of your speech - set by yourself, your teacher, club, the organization who hired you ...
Using the list
Treat each idea as a starting point - a hook to give your brain something to latch on to.
you scan the list look for the speech topics triggering more than a
flicker of interest. Stop and consider those more carefully. Examine
them from as many angles as you can. Apply imagination - shake, rattle
and roll the idea around to
see whether it fits your needs.
Any topic can be handled multiple ways.
Return to Top
Same topic - different treatment
Here are two examples to show you how the same topic can be adapted for different audiences. The topic is "Voice Matters".
"Voice Matters" Example 1
The Intended Audience: teachers
Speaker Credibility: many years of teaching English and drama, plus public speaking experience
to persuade the listeners (teachers) that how their voices sound in their student's
ears influences how they are responded to, how their students behave and ultimately how they learn.
Specific Speech Purpose: to have them sign up for a voice workshop
- Voice image - how we are perceived by others is influenced by voice quality. This in turn impacts on how we are responded to. (Do check the link. It is all true.)
is a good quality voice? What personality or character traits are
attributed to a person who has a good voice? Use sound clips to
demonstrate. Ask for suggestions from the floor. How could that affect
- What is a poor quality voice? What do people assume about the speaker with that type of voice? How could that affect students?
- How do you know what you sound like to others? Use prepared sound clip of self to demonstrate.
voice quality or voice image be changed? Why would you do/not do that?
Provide researched examples of before and after work on voice.
of working/not working on voice image - Give results - better classroom
atmosphere, more on-target behavior, less time off with voice strain
- How to work on voice image - outline of action and time line involved
- Sign up for workshop and ongoing public speaking course
"Voice Matters" Example 2
Someone else might come along looking for a good persuasive speech topic and pick "Voice Matters" too. This time the treatment goes like this:
"Voice Matters" when calling about a job
Audience: job seekers
Speaker Credibility: senior recruitment specialist for a major firm in town
Speech Angle: to persuade listeners that their telephone voice is their initial calling card to getting an interview
Specific Speech Purpose: to have the seekers sign up for course on telephone skills to get the appointment they need
As illustrated in the first example above because the core material is the same or similar
but the examples used to carry the persuasive argument and benefits will
be relevant to the audience.
Return to Top
50 good persuasive speech topics
Return to Top
- Sport is the new religion
- Miracles do happen
- There should be a law against drugged driving
- Truth and politics seldom mix.
- We get what we deserve
- Proverbs speak the truth
- Natural disasters are the earth's way of restoring balance
- Exploitative advertising should be banned
- Love is not a defense or an excuse
- Adoption of other-race children should be encouraged
- Space aliens exist
- Euphemisms are dangerous
- Children should not be allowed mind altering drugs of any sort
- Arranged marriages have more chance of succeeding
- How we pronounce our words matters
- Assisted suicide should be made legal
- Government benefits weaken a country
- Discrimination makes you stronger
- Private education/schools promote elitism
- Religion has no place in schools
- Good or right thinking is a matter of opinion
- Multi-national corporates should be outlawed
- Immigration laws are there to protect us
- Factory farming can be humane
- To be vegan is the only right and moral way to live
- Fashion cripples creativity
- Cars and city centers should not mix
- Birth control should be compulsory for people with genetically inheritable diseases
- A young single girl who has a child should give it up for adoption
- Age gives a face character
- The earth is smaller today
- Swearing has lost its shock value
- Most illness is avoidable
- Junk mail is essential reading
- Manners are essential
- Allowing yourself to have fun is good for your health
- Reincarnation is the only way to explain some experiences
- Illness occurs in the mind before it manifests in the body
- Getting older doesn't mean becoming feeble
- Safety legislation leads to diminished personal responsibility
- A big brand doesn't necessarily mean big value
- Diets do more harm than good
- Honesty is not the best policy
- Food does not make you fat
- Sometimes being cruel to be kind is the only way
- Advances in medicine are not necessarily good for us
- Big brother is more alive and well every day
- Death is not final
- Community service should be compulsory for everyone
- Everyone should have the right to wear what they wish
More persuasive speech resources
For help turning your good persuasive speech topic into a fully fledged speech check these pages:
- Persuasive Speech Outline
out how to prepare an excellent speech outline using the classic
persuasive speech structure: the 5 steps of Monroe's Motivated Sequence,
and then download a blank speech outline to complete.
- How to Write a Speech
Step by step easily followed instructions for refining your outline into an effective speech.
- If you haven't found the topic you want check this link for 50 more persuasive speech topics
- And last but not least, read a sample persuasive speech that follows the persuasive speech outline referenced above.
Please note though before you go to that page the subject is somber: the affect of suicide on families.